Community Outreach

Our team is committed to improving the health of our community. In addition to our otolaryngology and audiology health care services, our team actively supports health related efforts, events and initiatives in the Houston community. Together, we can make a difference. Check back here regularly for updates on how our team is making a difference.

Kidney Walk

Oct. 23, 2016

1 On Oct. 23, the National Kidney Foundation™ hosted the 2016 Houston Kidney Walk to raise awareness and lifesaving funds to fight kidney disease. This year, our team, along with thousands of other community supporters, walked through Houston Arboretum & Nature Center in support of the cause.

Nearly 26 million Americans suffer from kidney disease. This number is increasing as diabetes and high blood pressure, the two major risk factors, also increase. The National Kidney Foundation™ is working to reach the 73 million Americans at risk for developing kidney disease and promote prevention through education.

The Kidney Walk is the nation’s largest event that fights against kidney disease. It is held in nearly 100 communities, with 100,000 total participants each year. Eighty cents of each dollar donated through the walk directly supports program and services that fight kidney disease including:

  • Educating the public about how to reduce the risk of kidney disease
  • Empowering those at risk to take advantage of community health screenings
  • Supporting patients, organ donors and families
  • Advocating in DC to address the organ donor shortage and to fund research
  • Sharing treatment information and practices
2

This year, the Houston community raised over $110,000, which will directly benefit those suffering from and at risk for kidney disease. Our team here at The Center for ENT is honored to work closely with the community to promote such a worthy cause.


BREAST CANCER WALK

Oct. 1, 2016

  On Oct. 1, our team spent the Saturday at the Komen Houston Race for the Cure. The race is a part of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series, which is the world’s largest and most successful education and fundraising event for breast cancer ever created. The event raises significant funds for breast cancer research that will lead to a cure. In addition to fundraising, this event raises awareness in communities across the nation. It also celebrates breast cancer survivors and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. komen_walk_4 This Race is unique in the fact that 100 percent of the net proceeds are allocated to the mission of preventing and curing breast cancer. Approximately, 75 percent of the net income stays in the Houston community to help fund local programs offering breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment. The remaining 25 percent of the net income supports the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program. komen_walk_2 About 1 in 8 American women will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime. There are more than 200 thousand new cases of breast cancer every year in the U.S. Though there is no universal cure, early detection can make a significant difference in outcomes. komen_walk_3 Women who are 40 years or older are at a higher risk for breast cancer and should receive annual mammograms; however, all age groups and genders can get breast cancer. Performing self-exams at home, which could find lumps or abnormalities, is a recommended way to detect breast cancer early. For more information, visit Komen Race for the Cure or National Cancer Institute.